September 18, 2013

Health & HIV-AIDS Overview - Peace Corps

9/18/13 - Let's see, last week, the Peace Corps sent me an email saying that because I was over 50, I needed to get an EKG and a colon cancer screening done. Mm, wonder why they didn't tell me that a month ago when the listed all the other medical exams and shots I needed. Found a great clinic that works with people with no insurance and they've been great at keeping the costs down.

Kind of was obsessed with all instruments with 3-strings, especially, dulcimers. Wow, it sure looks easy to play. Kind of overdosed on watching dulcimer videos on YouTube. Even looked at "travel" dulcimers and "cardboard" dulcimers with the thought of taking one with me. For now though, I think I'll just practice on my guitar and maybe just wait and see what happens when I get to Thailand.

Up to last week, I was training for a half-marathon in October. But my heart just isn't in it. So, after taking a few days off from running, I just want to get back to a place where I enjoy the running, just for running. Kind of came up with a new running schedule that is just for fun, no race at the end. We'll see how that goes.

And the Thai is going well. Still working on learning to say my numbers.



Originally uploaded on Nov 26, 2010 by the Peace Corps

Health Volunteers work with local governments, clinics, nongovernmental organizations, and communities at the grassroots level, where the need is most urgent and the impact can be the greatest. They focus on outreach, social and behavior change in public health, hygiene, water sanitation, and HIV/AIDS. Health Volunteers work in both formal and informal settings, targeting the groups most affected by a particular health issue.

One of the most serious worldwide threats to public health and development is the spread of HIV/AIDS. The Peace Corps is a key partner and implementer of the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), which provides assistance to countries most affected by the HIV/AIDS pandemic.


To learn more about becoming a Health & HIV/AIDS Volunteer, visit
www.peacecorps.gov/learn/whatvol/health/
and www.peacecorps.gov/learn/whatvol/hivaids/