September 25, 2013

Agriculture Overview - Peace Corps

9/26/13 - Oops, getting a little behind on keeping you all up to date. Sorry about that.

Peace Corps asked for more medical tests since I'm over 50. Had my EKG done and waiting for results from my colon cancer screening lab test. Headed to the dentist today and hopefully that will be all that is required by the Peace Corps. Hopefully will hear if I'm completely medically cleared in the next couple of weeks.

Still working on my Thai. The numbers are coming easier than the alphabet. I think the next chapter is food, an important topic for sure. [laughing]

One thing I did after I was nominated back in February was to join a local Returned Peace Corps group called "The Kansas City Area Peace Corps Association". I am so glad I did. Besides answering all my questions and offering support, they are really a lot of fun too. This week the group was lucky enough to have Glenn Blumhorst, president of the National Peace Corps Association, in town so a bunch of us got together and had dinner with him. And next month, our group is headed down to Joplin to work with Habitat for Humanity.

A group from the Kansas City Area Peace Corps Association
with Glenn Blumhorst, president of the NPCA

Getting close to the "less than 100 days" next week. Getting there fast but sometimes I think not fast enough. [smile]



Originally uploaded on Oct 27, 2010 by the Peace Corps

Agriculture Volunteers work with small-scale farmers and families to increase food security and production and adapt to climate change while promoting environmental conservation practices. They introduce farmers to techniques that prevent soil erosion, reduce the use of harmful pesticides, and replenish the soil. They work alongside farmers on integrated projects that often combine vegetable gardening, livestock management, agroforestry, and food security.


To learn more about becoming a Peace Corps Agriculture Volunteer,
visit http://www.peacecorps.gov/agriculture