March 13, 2013

Letter from Senator McCaskill

March 13, 2013

Dear Mr Damico,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Peace Corps. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

The noble service performed by Peace Corps volunteers is invaluable. For more than 50 years, the Peace Corps has worked to further humanitarian efforts in more than 130 countries. Peace Corps volunteers also advance U.S. national security interests by building cultural ties overseas and helping to promote a better understanding of American values. I am particularly proud to say that more than 3,000 Missourians have served in the Peace Corps since 1961, and I am humbled by those who choose to serve our nation and others through the Peace Corps.

Peace Corps volunteers serve as cultural ambassadors for the United States. As such, they are an important component of our foreign policy. I remain strongly supportive of the Peace Corps and and will continue to work in the Senate to advance the interests of this important program. Please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind when legislation important to the Peace Corps comes before the Senate for consideration.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,



Claire McCaskill
United States Senator