May 13, 2012

Post 1132, and counting

I honestly don't look at web traffic statistics any more, or any of the other myriad of details the "show" my place in the blogosphere. If I depended on those numbers to make me happy, I'm sure I'd be sorely disappointed. But, while posting a new blog entry about some BBC Mongolia videos, near the corner of the screen I see that I have written 1131 blog posts. Wow, I had no idea. For some reason, that seems a lot. But, then again, maybe it isn't. No matter. [smile]

For anyone who's returned to this blog over the years, in recent times, posts have gotten few and far between. Not because of anything other than life just going on and I really didn't think I had anything new to tell anyone. After four years in Mongolia, it seemed I had said most of it before.

But, also, this last year has been difficult here - psychologically, maybe even spiritually. I know intellectually that my happiness is only dependent on the person who I am inside, and that to actually live that way would free me from so much sorrow and disappointment. But, like I tell anyone who will listen about Buddhism, "It's easy to understand, but much, much harder to DO!".

I came across a blog story today called "Build Yourself an Army for Happiness" by Linzi Wilson on TinyBuddha.com. Here's what it had to say:
“Count your joys instead of your woes. Count your friends instead of your foes.”~Irish Proverb
Your Happiness Army defends your happiness, and it's there when you need support, it makes you feel strong and capable, and most importantly, it helps you become more grounded, peaceful, and content.

Who are they, these warriors?
  • "People" I look up to who are doing great things in the world.
  • "Places" in my memories that were full of joy, happiness, and awesomeness.
  • "Actions" that move me in the direction of happiness, like getting outside in the fresh air
  • "Thoughts" of gratitude, love, and compassion - like keeping a gratitude journal to remind myself
  • "All the Rest" like music, food, good times and good friends
Think long and hard about the things that make you truly happy. It is amazing how we can fool ourselves into believing certain things give us joy, when in reality, our time would be much better spent doing something else.
  • Write it all down, draw it, create a collection of images and words.
  • Then figure out how to tune into them easily at any time or any place.
One of the suggestions was to write in a "gratitude journal". At first I thought that would be a great idea, but it kind of sounds too "new-agey". And, let's face, I already have one journal (this one), that I haven't exactly been the most timely of writers of late. So, what I'm going to try to do is, tell you, everyday (let's say for a month") exactly why I am so happy to be me, in this place, in this time, and with these people. No promise, no goal-setting, just an intention that I'll "try my best" to fulfill. How's that for non-commital. [smiling]

So, let's start right now!!!
  1. Sunday is my day off (my only day off, but let's not go there). And this morning, it was snowing - just snow flurries here in the city, but more in the surrounding mountains. It was wonderful to watch the snow flakes float down.
  2. Because of the cold, I stayed inside and worked a bit on my "dream", my MEDICAL ENGLISH WEBSITE, called Medical.Anglihel.com. I have been working on my first blog post called "Alphabet". Catchy, right!? Well, you gotta start somewhere. [smile] In time, I hope it will become an ever expanding extensive array of learning materials to help Mongolian doctors, nurses and dentists improve their Medical English.
  3. And through the joys of technology called an "iPad", I watched a wonderfully upbeat BBC video about Mongolia.
  4. And was able to share all this with you on a FREE blog that I started sometime around 1999 (in one form or another) which is like eons in internet years.
  5. Oops, almost forgot - I am very grateful for my mother on this Mother's Day. Love ya' Mom!/li>
That's not all that I'm 'grateful for' today, but it's enough for now. Thanks for reading and maybe I'll see you here again tomorrow. [smile] And, because the page seems a little blank without some color, I thought I'd post a picture from my first month in Mongolia back in 2008. Good memories for sure.
Kopan Nuns, Ani Deky and Ani Tsultrim visiting a ger in the countryside
- the first ger I was able to go in. Even after 4 years
I still think it's a wonderful, great design of simplicity but also completeness.