July 9, 2011

Spring Training to 10K

Twelve weeks ago I started a running program called Hal Higdon's Spring Training (for Novices) which was a way to build up to a 10K (6.2 mile) distance. Hal Higdon has been a writer and editor at Runner's World Magazine for decades and is considered one of the top marathon experts in the USA. He has programs for everyone from couch-potatoes to elite marathon runners.

I liked his program because it made sense. You just don't increase your mileage. This program had a lot of variety as it increased, some days short, some days longer. Unlike the 'C25K' (couch to 5K) I did last year, I actually stuck with this one and followed as best I could. I missed a few days but kept at it. And while my 'graduation' run was a little short, I know it's doable. Here's my DailyMile.com journal entry:
Zaisan War Memorial
5.9 mi 01:05 10:58 pace

48F, sprinkles: Dark skies, could see my breath over the Peace Bridge, saw guy doing Don Quioti with traffic and an umbrella, no crowds, no iPod, no watch. Felt good 1st half, a little tired at the halfway but think it was more mental. Thought my Nike Sports Watch was off so ended up a little short of 10K, but that's alright. Next time my halfway will be the top of the Zaisan War Memorial. And will start training for my first half and full marathon in a week. Yippie.
Although it's not really easy yet, I am kind of getting to be a 'runner'. So, after a 10K, what's next. Well, a half-marathon 13.2 miles would be the logical next step. But I'm so inspired by all the runners at DailyMile.com I have decided to do a full marathon on November 21st called the Gobler Grind in Overland Park, KS. So, I will start my 18-week training for that in a week. This time I'll be using the Hanson Brothers Marathon program instead of Hal Higdon's. The Hanson Brothers have trained thousands of people for the famous Boston Marathon, as well as a few world-class athletes. In Runners's World Magazine, they called their program 'less-is-more'. It seemed more scientific instead of just building up mileage.


Even though it wasn't a 10K race, I can use the time to get an idea about what my marathon time might be in November. Below is what the Runner's World calculator had to say:
What Does This Tool Caculate?
Based on one entry of your most recent race time and distance, this tool will calculate:
  • Projected Distance Finish Times: Based on the time you provide for a given distance, this tool will predict finish times for you for a variety of common race distances.
  • Training Paces: Based on the time you provide for a given distance, this tool will suggest training methods and paces for you.
  • Pace: Based on the time you provide for a given distance, this calculator will determine your pace in five different units.
Distance Finish Times
Based on a 5.9 miles race at 01:04:46, your projected finish times for the following distances should be:
  • half marathon 2:30:51
  • full marathon 5:14:31
These times are projected equivalents and are not a guarantee of performance or final race distance times.

The Distance Finish Times calculator calculates a predicted time at a distance for you based on a time you provided for another distance. It uses the formula T2 = T1 x (D2/D1)1.06 where T1 is the given time, D1 is the given distance, D2 is the distance to predict a time for, and T2 is the calculated time for D2. The formula was developed by Pete Riegel.
Gobler Grind Marathon
November 21, 2011


According to results from last year, the average for my age group (M50-54) was 4:30. A 5:14 would put me almost in the middle, 12th out of 20 runners. As I train, I plan to compete in another 10K (North Face Endurance Challenge, Aug 27) and a half marathon (KC Marathon, Oct 15th) so I'll be able to update my projected times for the marathon.

The great thing about the running calculators is that they give you more information about your training too.
Training Paces
Based on your race time, the paces of your different training runs should be:
  • 13:03/mile Easy run training pace
  • 10:59/mile Tempo run training pace
  • 9:56/mile Max oxygen training pace
  • 9:13/mile Speed form training pace
  • 13:03-14:35/mile Long run pace
  • 5:06/800 Yasso 800s training pace