March 20, 2011

Pacific Crest Trail in 2012?

Ever since I hiked the Appalachian Trail in 1998, I've wanted to do the Pacific Crest Trail. I had hoped to do it on the 10 anniversary of my AT hike but in 2008 I bike across Canada and then began my 'real' adventure, teaching English in Mongolia. But three years is a long time doing this kind of work and the trail is calling me for some much needed healing. My plan is to return home to the US in August '2011 and that gives me plenty of time to prepare for a 2012 hike to begin around April-May.

The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) is the jewel in the crown of America’s scenic trails, spanning 2,650 miles from Mexico to Canada through three western states. It reveals the beauty of the desert, unfolds the glaciated expanses of the Sierra Nevada, and provides commanding vistas of volcanic peaks and glaciers in the Cascade Range. Thousands of hikers and equestrians enjoy this national treasure each year. Some only travel a few miles, while others complete every mile in a single season!


Elevation Gain: 314,711 feet - a lot of up and down.

Lowest Point: Cascade Locks, Oregon (140 feet)
Highest Point: Forester Pass, California (13,153 feet)

California Length: 1,698.8 Miles
Oregon Length: 456.8 Miles
Washington Length: 499.8 Miles

California Elevation Gain:192,339 feet
Oregon Elevation Gain: 49,647 feet
Washington Elevation Gain: 72,725 feet

the PCT traverses…
* 3 national monuments
* 7 national parks
* 24 national forests and
* 33 federally mandated wildernesses
* Climbs nearly 60 major mountain passes
* Descends into 19 major canyons and
* Ambles past more than 1,000 lakes and tarns.