November 30, 2010

Learning to draw, again.

When I got my new iPod Touch, one of the programs I got for it was called Sketchbook Mobile, a full-featured drawing/painting app. But while I now have tools to draw, sketch and paint, I really don't have the skills. Yet. I've always wanted to be an artist. I even took a drawing class when I was studying to be an engineer. But my dad didn't feel that 'art' was a manly occupation, just a hobby he said. But my mom used to draw when she was younger. She even went to the Art Institute in Kansas City for a bit before marriage and kids interupted that. I remember her drawing things for us when we were very little.

Plus, doing something like drawing would help me stop being such a workaholic, giving me something to do in my free time that is both relaxing and enjoyable. So, I searched the net, found a few books I could download and quite by accident found a website called DrawSpace.com. Remember those art school ads in the back of magazines asking if you could 'draw this dog'? Well, this site is a bit like that, but extremely professionally done but its FREE. Yes, some two hundred lessons at no cost. How's that for a bargin. It keeps track of the lessons you've completed and you can even upload your sketches for others and teachers to comment on. I won't bore you with my early attempts at 'art' but I might in the future.

Here's more information in case your interested in finding your own inner artist too.

DrawSpace.com

Drawspace is more than just another art website; we are an international community of over 320,000 drawing enthusiasts, professional artists, art educators, and authors of art books. Check out our huge (and continuously growing) library of free, downloadable, high-quality lessons authored by world-renowned artists, art educators, and authors (no registration or log-in needed). And you are welcome to view, download, share, translate, and redistribute all our free lessons.

Drawspace for Everyone

You now have free access to hundreds of downloadable, professional drawing lessons that are ideal for artists of all levels - beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Beginners (with no drawing experience) may want to start at the beginning (A-level); artists who already have good drawing skills may prefer to simply browse all the lessons, and choose projects that enhance their current technical abilities. Most importantly, have fun!