September 26, 2008

9/27/09 I love getting mail

I've heard from several people about care packages, so I figured I would dedicate a single post to that subject.

My Address:
FPMT Mongolia Buddhist Centre
attn: Jim Damico
PO.Box-219
Ulaanbaatar-13
Mongolia (via CHINA)


Notes on best ways to send packages:
  1. Always write VIA CHINA at the end of the address. I'm told that packages end up in other "M" countries. For some reason, no one knows where Mongolia is, expect for the Chinese, I guess.
  2. Remove any unnecessary packaging before you place something inside the box (there's no reason to mail packaging I'm just going to throw away anyway).
  3. Tape the box well! You don't want the chance that anyone could go through it easily!
  4. Be careful about listing things like electronics or DVD's on the custom's form that goes on the box. It's an easy target for people to steal. Maybe put 'educational' or something like that. Be creative. [smile]
  5. If you don't have much but still want to send it, maybe you can drop it off at my mom's as I'm sure she's already packing a box to send. Just look in the phone book, she lives on Madison.
  6. Save yourself money! If it's over 4lbs, always use USPS FLAT RATE BOXES! I can't emphasize this enough! The other options (and other carriers) are ridiculous and astronomically expensive. Here are the USPS rates:
Priority Mail: (rates updated 7/10/09)
0-1lb $25.00, 1-2lbs $29.25, 2-3lbs $33.50, 3-4lbs $37.75
Priority Mail Flat-Rate:

Envelope (up to 4 pounds) $12.95 [12.5"x9.5"]
Boxes (up to 20 pounds) $41.95 [11"x8.5"x5.5" or 12"x3.5"x13.5"]
Large Box (up to 20 pounds) $53.95 [12"x12"x5.5"]

Yes, I know that's still pretty expensive, but remember I'm in 'Mongolia'! So it's best to pack it up to the weight limit making it worthwhile.

The following is a list of wants. I don't really need anything but care packages are GREATLY appreciated! Also, if you choose to send a care package, don't feel you must ONLY send these things. I like surprises! Most importantly, I love hearing from you!
  • Whiteboard Markers
  • Instant Hot Cocoa mix, etc
  • deodorant (not antiperspirant)
  • DVDs - movies, documentaries, etc
    • Dead Poets Society
    • Ground Hog Day
    • Hard Days Night
    • The Replacements
    • Yes Man
    • Someone Like You
    • Notting Hill
    • Earth
    • Zen
  • Dried Fruit - any kind
  • Emails - I love hearing from you all
  • Lotion - It's really dry here!
  • Spices like oregano
  • Gorilla Glue and Krazy Glue
Keep checking back as I will probably update this list from time to time. And really, don't feel you need to send anything. Just drop me an email and that would be greatly appreciated too.