July 5, 2008

7/5/08 Kenora, Ontario - Canada

69.6km/2892km

When we left camp this morning we knew it was going to be a hot one. At the gate to the campground, we even took our jackets off already. So, I guess it's a good thing we only had a short day planned.

Halfway!

After just a few kilometers, we entered our fifth provence, Ontario. And immediately upon crossing, our big wide road shoulder appeared. The terrain continued to be a lot like yesterday, and the road was followed rolling hills with a lot of curves. We made it to Kenora by 10am.

Downtown Kenora waterfront

Our campsite has a good view of Lake of the Woods. Finally did a laundry load of everything I owned whether it needed it or not. We had access to a huge Safeway but I wasn't very hungry. Believe it or not, I'm eating less not more than I do at home.

For breakfast I either have a few breakfast bars or if we're in a town, maybe a muffin. Usually we'll try and plan our day to stop in a town along the way for a sandwich or a burger. For dinner I have really take to having a half package of Soup Works (full of dehydrated vegetables) and a half package of instant noodles. I also have some crackers and maybe a peanut-butter cookie (or two). For snacks I have my own version of trail mix: dried pineapple, dried banana, raisins, honey-roasted peanuts and Skittles. I've been trying to cut back on my Coke drinking (something I only do on a bike tour) by drinking Tang. But don't worry if I'm getting enough calories. My legs don't have an ounce of fat on them, and I still have enough 'spare tire' around the middle to bike across Canada a dozen times.

Safeway has it's own docks

Today I got an email from the director of FPMT Mongolia, the group I will be teaching English for in September. Everything is set for me to get my work visa. But on a sad note, the capital city (where I will be teaching) has been the site of post-election violence. International observers said the parliamentary election was free and fair. This kind of violence is unheard of in Mongolia. Let's hope they will discover that violence is never a solution.