June 9, 2008

6/9/08 Mission, BC

81km / 81km

Slept pretty well but even though I stayed up late, my 'automatic' internal clock got me up before 6am. But I'm sure the sunlight streaming through the window at 5:15am might have contributed too.

For some reason the cafeteria wasn't open. Looks like it was only open yesterday because of a conference being held at eh university.

Still heavily overcast and once we got out of the university, the rain started to come down. We stopped by UPS to mail back out bike suitcases and ate a bit at the bakery next door. Then made a quick stop at Mountain Equipment Coop, but that meant it was later than 10 before we got moving again.

Waiting outside MEC

We followed side streets all the way through Vancouver which were pretty flat but there were a few San Francisco-like hills. We stopped for a quick lunch in Kensington but by the time we got back out on the road, the rain was coming down even harder. And the rest of day was riding on the shoulder of a very busy highway.

I felt soaked to the bone. The temps felt like the low 50s and with the rain and winds, it was the perfect scenario for hypothermia. So, instead of stopping to rest, we just pushed on through the bad weather.

When we reached the outskirts of Mission, I asked the other guys what they wanted to do. For me, even though we just started, I thought a warm motel room to dry out ourselves and our gear was a good idea. And Mike and George agreed.

Mike and George unpacking

So, we have a room at the Best Western, across the street from the huge Sikh Temple, with all of our stuff spread all over the room drying out. And I'm not even going to look at the weather for tomorrow.