June 5, 2008

6/5/08 Kansas City, MO - USA

I thought the rain was behind us but the sky was filled with dark gray clouds all day. But I didn't let that stop me from taking the fully-loaded bike out on a test run to Acme Bicycle Company downtown. Boy, my body could sure feel the last two weeks that I couldn't ride with gear. I'm predicting that the first week biking in Canada is going to be very, very tough for yours truly.

Acme Bicycle Company is Sarah & Christy
with my fully-loaded bike in front of the shop


Besides the weight of the bike and my gear, I've gained a bit of weight over the last month or so too. Lots of goodbye dinners but also, I'm a nervous eater too. The more nervous I get the more I tend to eat, sometimes not even realizing I'm doing it. I know I will be burning off a lot of calories on the trip, but still, I really do want to be healthier.

On the way home, what should I see on the curb in someone's trash but two, count 'em two Yakima Raptor bike mounts (retail $100 each). I have the rack on my car but only one Steelhead bike mount. So, once I got home, jumped into the car and went on back to pick them up. Not a thing wrong with them so not sure why they were throwing them away. Their loss is my gain.

Decided to go for a short run. Afterward went to see about some new shoes at Garry Gribble's Running Sports. I went last week but the shoes that felt the best were the most horrid neon yellow-green. Tried more shoes on, but nothing felt as good as the Brooks Defyance.

The picture doesn't do it justice, not neon enough

Probably will get them tomorrow, but if you see me (from miles away no doubt), just don't laugh too loud.

Just few more errands to do tomorrow, but mostly I'm done. All I have to do now is go visit my grandmother, pack the bike up and make arrangements for my ride to the airport on Saturday morning. And in case you were wondering, it looks like more thunderstorms tonight. Yippie. NOT!

More wonderful Peace Corps Mongolia blogs to check out: Leslie & Nathan's at Leslie & Nathan in Mongolia of course, Long Songs by Ben & Faye, and Into Mongolia by Ben.

One full day left in KC!