May 29, 2008

5/29/08 Kansas City, MO - USA

Ended staying up till really late 'inventing' again. Trying to design case to hold my headphones since I couldn't really find anything that would work that wasn't heavy. We'll see if I can finish it today.

The sky doesn't know if it wants to be sunny or overcast today. I hope it makes up its mind soon. But since it wasn't wet, I took the chance to set up the tent for a test run. I bought the REI Quarter Dome UL tent for the New Zealand trip back in 2006 and haven't even had it out of the bag since then. It shouldn't be in too bad of shape since we didn't really use the tents much in NZ that trip. Looked good but I did find a few holes in the waterproof tent bag so I'm glad I took the trouble to check out the tent. Shouldn't be too hard to fix the holes.


And ordered an iPod Nano today from Apple. The refurbished units are on sale, $50/25% off, so that's a very good deal. It should be here early next week. And to go with it, bought a Griffin Tune Juice2 to recharge it using batteries charged by my solar panel but before I open it, I'm going to get out my MintyBoost and see if it works with this 3rd generation iPod Nano. If so, I might take the other back. Either one will double as a battery holder. A boy and his toys!

Did a bit more shopping before riding down to the Apple store on the Plaza. I've been having a specific problem with one of my new programs, Typecast. Unfortunately it was a lot more complicated than the guys at the Genius Bar could figure out. Their recommendation was to do an 'archive and install' which should reload the operating system. That should fix it, they said. But it's a lot of work because I need to back up a lot of stuff up, and some programs might need to be manually reloaded after the install. So, that's what I'm doing tonight, backing everything up.

Believe it or not, one of the 'to do' things on my shopping list was to buy underwear. I've been told by returning Peace Corps volunteers that the underwear available in Mongolia doesn't have much going for it. So, just to be on the safe side, I shall have new underwear for the journey. [smile]

Well, talked to Ron again who is walking through Kansas City on his cross-country walk for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. He's going to try and reach the Missouri-Kansas state line tomorrow which is about 27 miles of walking for him. I'm going to pick him up and we'll both head over to the Dishman's for enchiladas. Mmm! I'll post more about his Road to the Cure tomorrow.

According to their website, FedEx said they delivered my wheel to Phil Wood & Co. yesterday but by this evening I hadn't heard anything, so I called them instead. The service manager had just left so I have to call back in the morning. These little delays are chipping away at my nerves. I hope after talking to them tomorrow I can get assurances that the wheel hub will be repaired and be here by Thursday next week at the latest. Keep your fingers crossed.

And finished the night working on a book cover for my 'Wandering' book of quotes, to protect it a bit inside the backpack. Made a 'cord keeper' out of some hobby pop-sickle sticks. And got a good way through making the case for the folding headphones. The plan is still to finish most if not all of my projects by Sunday so I can relax the rest of the week. We'll see how that goes.

Eight Days! There's not enough time!