May 22, 2008

5/22/08 Kansas City, MO - USA

Woke up to thunderstorms raging outside my window. I guess that means no bike riding today. Oh well, that's probably good as I can spend the time on more of the little projects I need to take care of.

Got an email from Ueli Minder, the director of FPMT Mongolia today. Everyone at the center in Mongolia has been so helpful and patient with me. Ueli was answering questions I've had about my work visa application. Getting through all the government paperwork is so much different than just showing up as a tourist. But it all does make me a bit nervous. [laugh]

And last night, my good friend Marisa from the Rime Buddhist Center, dropped off my copy of Arukihenro, a documentary about the Shikoku Pilgrimage in Japan. I presented the film at the Center a few years ago for it's North American Premiere. The filmmaker, Tommi Mendel, even made a short introduction video addressing the people at the showing. It was a lot of fun for everyone. And it looks like the film is getting seen by a lot more people. It's a wonderful documentary.

So I decided to email Tommi, the film-maker and he replied right away. He says he's getting ready to start another film project soon. But Tommi also said "I have to tell you that I met my wife Atsuko in Ulan Baator exactly ten years ago - so this place means a lot for me and I'm very glad that you'll go there." What a coincidence.

With the thundershowers, I couldn't think of a better day to go to the movies. And the new Indiana Jones film was opening today. Made it to the 11:15am show and believe it or not, it was only $4. You can't beat that. A good movie, lots of action and typical Indy dialogs and effects. So, I'll give it a thumbs up.

Ran into Kaleb, my next door neighbor, who invited me over for an impromptu birthday party for his wife, Jill. She turns 25 today. Yippie! Now it's all down hill from now on. [smile] Met a lot of the their friends tonight too. A great bunch of folks. And a few live just down the street. Just when I meet some cool people, it's right before I leave on another trip.

Oh my, 16 days to go!