May 21, 2008

5/21/08 Kansas City, MO - USA

I worked a half-day for my brother doing a remodeling job in Overland Park this morning and he said he would probably need me on Friday too. Good, more money for the bike wheel repairs.

Bruno, a service technician at Phil Wood, emailed this morning that the hub problems I described can be serviced at the factory. That would save me a huge amount over getting a new rear wheel built. I think we've caught this in time to get it repaired with plenty of time before I leave for Vancouver. I forgot about Memorial Day coming up, so that is going to delay shipping I think. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that it gets there, repaired and sent back before I am supposed to fly out in 17 days.


And got two new issues of the Moonlight Chronicles, a self-published zine by hobo artist supreme, Dan Price. I have been a reader and fan of Dan's since issue #16 which I got by chance at a shoe store selling Simple Shoes for free back in 1995. His zine is part diary, part sketchbook, part philosophy, part something else I can't describe. He's written several books: Radical Simplicity and How to Make a Journal of Your Life. And is currently working on a book about how to draw.

Here's a sample page from issue #63

And got an email from Donna, one of my ESL (English as a Second Language) Certification classmates. She is leaving just before me to teach English in Brazil. We're both excited, scared, nervous but mostly just tired from all that needs to be done before a person leaves home for a year. I hope we can keep in touch, sharing our triumphs and tragedies in the classroom. [smile]

After a run, I decided to bike downtown to the Wednesday meditation at the Rime Buddhist Center. I love the simplicity of the tonights meditation. Not many people tonight but that was okay. There is something about the meditating in the gompa when the windows are open. The Center is near a highway overpass and your can hear all the traffic speeding off somewhere. But the sound doesn't really bother me, in fact, I think I like it just fine.

Lama Chuck and his wife Mary make everyone so welcome at the Center. Mary was talking most of the time before the meditation with a guy who turned out to be a Marine back home after two tours of duty in Iraq. It has been hard on him. He was at the center interested in mediation to bring him some peace of mind. I wish him all the best.

Yup, just 17 days to go!