May 18, 2008

5/18/08 Kansas City, MO - USA

Another beautiful day here in KC. Lots of sunshine and tons of people out on riding their bikes, running or just having a lazy day at the park. But a part of me is still thinking of the hardships of those struggling in China due the earthquake and in Burma from the typhoon.

Spent the morning rebuilding the bike after some major problems with the chain-gears-derailleur. Ended up replacing both the rear (gear) cassette and the chain but still having the occasional skip, especially with sudden loading, like starting from a complete stop. I think the rear deraileur pulley cage is bent or out of alignment. Hopefully I can take it down to ACME on Tuesday and get it in the bike stand and see if we can fix this.

But in the process of doing all that work, decided to give the bike a good wipe-down. A few chips in the paint here an there, but overall, it's still a beautiful bike. Especially when you take all the panniers off.


You can see in the picture the handlebar rack I designed. I also have a home-made handlebar bag that attaches to specifically to it. As far as I know, no one has designed anything like it for mountain bikes with straight bars.


On a ride to test out that new chain and cassette, I dropped by the house of a good friend who I hadn't seen in a long time. I found Amy out front talking to some of the neighbors. Her son, Griffin, was just leaving. She tells me he just finished his freshman year at MU. Wow, it's been a while, I almost didn't recognize him. Amy tells me Claire, her daughter, will be a junior next year at MU too. Last time I saw Amy, she was a professor in the Physical Therapy program at Rockhurst University. But now she has moved up and is the Assistant Dean of the School of Graduate & Professional Studies at Rockhurst. Good for her! Hopefully we can get together one last time to catch up before I leave.

This was kind of a day of rest, with a few little projects to finish like soldering a stereo phono plug extension for Mongolia. Later I watched the most recent episode of Battlestar Galactica. I'm kind of hooked on that show and this is the final season. And very late, had a long chat with Mike in Australia via internet phone (using Zoiper). Sounds as if both of us just wants to get this Canada trip started. [smile]

Just 20 days to go!