July 5, 2005

7/5/05 Málaga Spain

Second Day of School

Turns out my long run Sunday plus a 'on the road' workout of calisthenics Saturday was a very bad combination. I seem never to find the time at home to consistently do the exercise that I need to. So, here when I only have four hours of class instead of eight hours of work, I decided to put a little more time and effort into it. But when you're almost starting from scratch, you usually have a 'breaking in' period. Or maybe I should call it a 'gotta love the pain' period.

By the time I went to bed, I was felling like someone had beaten me with a baseball bat, all over! I mean I ached in places I didn't even know existed. After tossing and turning for what seemed hours, I finally relented and grabbed a few Ibuprofen, also known as vitamin-I. I'm glad only two did the trick. I have some stronger pain medicines, but I'd rather not use them. At least not with two more months to be here in Spain.

Class was a little less lecture and a little more interactive with activities. I think I'm understanding the structures OK but still having trouble remembering all the vocabulary. Did you know there are 8,000 irregular verbs in Spanish. So that means you just have to memorize the individual verbs and those irregularities.

Still trying to get a daily schedule pinned down. After a little lunch, I swan in the school's pool. Then decided to go for a long walk. I don't think that's a good idea. The shades here are like Fort Knox and not a speck of light gets in. If my alarm hadn't gone off for my morning run, I might have slept the morning away. Plus, while the beach sand is super fine, it's really not easy to walk on because of all the broken sea shells. So, I think I just need to find a nice close beach spot and take an afternoon nap on the sand with the Mediterranean lapping at my toes. [smile]

There's a little mom-pop burger joint on the first floor of my building, so I decided to check it out. And it was very good. The burger was as large as a small plate and only cost me 2€, about $3. Might have to come back and check out the rest of the menu.