June 27, 2005

6/27/05 Almansa Spain

First Day of School

Started class today. I think Amparo has a higher opinion of my Spanish than I do. We started off with a test where I listened to a sentence and then had to choose from a multiple choice of responses. I think I got 2 out of 14 right.

The hardest part of the class was when Amparo told me that they were worried I wold not have a good experience with them. Right now, they have been both busy getting the school/hostel started and also trying to raise a 5-year old and a 16-month old. Because of this, they haven't put a lot of effort in to getting more students yet. As of right now, I am the only student for the summer.

Amparo feels that I might do better where there are more students, maybe in a school in Seville. She wants me to think about it. They have to drive to Madrid this coming weekend to pick up Miranda at her grandparents. So that would be easier time to get me to another city. Part of me agrees with her, but I hate to leave my two best friends in Spain. But with me here alone, they probably feel they have to keep me company when not in class.

I've been fortunate that they've included me in their meals every day as I still haven't gotten any money or gone to the store. They are so busy with unpacking into their new apartment. At least Santi has taken a couple of days off before he has to return to work.

Lots of thinking to do, and in a short time too.