June 17, 2004

6/17/04 Williston ND

38 miles (1733 total)

I had a new worst day on the road. But it all started out ok. Got an early start as usual and headed back down to Ginny's for breakfast. Blue skies above, so life was good.

But by the time I finished my french toast, dark clouds moved in from the north, the direction I was headed. Put all my rain gear on and moved out.

The first twenty miles wasn't bad but I was going west. On the plus side, I had a wide shoulder. Good thing too because there was a lot of oil tank truck traffic.

Stopped in at the 2J's Cafe in Alexander. It was good to get in out of the wind. Ate a bit but just couldn't get warmer. After some hot chocolate, decided time was wasting. As I rode out of town, the bank sign said it was 46°F. No wonder I was cold.

But now I was riding directly into these stiff winds of arctic weather. Absolutely no wind break anywhere. When I stopped for a snack, the bike didn't give me much protection. It was just so cold. Even a short ride in this was miserable.

Just before reaching the Missouri River, I spotted the RV. Couldn't figure how they got past me. But it was a welcome sight more than less. I gave up and asked for a ride the few miles across the river to town.

I decided after a day like today, I needed a bed for the night. Hopefully my ride into Montana will be better. Couldn't get much worse.