September 3, 2002

9/3/02 Hacinas

Day trip to Burgos

Javier is still sick. He acts just like himself everyday, but at night he continues to have problems with diarrhea and vomiting. He's hardly eaten a thing in four days. Nati says the water system here in Hacinas had a lot of problems a year ago and she thinks it's the water that's got Javier sick. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I'm enjoying my walk to Salas everyday. No class today because we all had errands in Burgos. Santi needed to pick up a larger rental car to pick up a family coming to Amaparo's Spanish school. And I needed to buy my train ticket for Toulouse.

The more I'm here, the more it reminds me of Kansas City. While driving through Burgos, we got hit with a sudden thunderstorm complete with hail. But by the time we finished all of our errands, the streets were dry and the sun was out.

Called Cindy tonight to tell her of my arrival in Toulouse Sunday night. I'm kind of excited to be meeting Cindy. I might have met her for a second back a few years ago when I was getting ready for the Appalachian Trail at her parent's home in Atlanta, but I'm not sure.

One the drive back home from Burgos, Amparo and I discussed relationships in Spain, in Spanish of course. I know I've only been here a short while and in one place, but everyone seems to take advantage of contact between family members. No matter what is happening, it's always a family affair. I don't know how much they really communicate but they at least spend time together.