October 4, 2001

10/4/01 Del Rio, TX

48.2 / 8877 miles

I knew at one point last night that the wind was absolutely still. But not this morning! Even taking down the tent was made difficult because of the gales.

That's Mexico not far in the distance

Said goodbye to Bob and got a big hug from Lois. The rest of the morning and part of the afternoon were a blur. I just put my head down and pedaled as hard as I could. Today was just a continuation of yesterday, just flat terrain with rolling pavement. But the winds! I hate the wind.

Took almost six hours to go 40-miles to the outskirts of Del Rio. Passed the only campgrounds because I needed to check my email. At the library, Daniel wanted to shake my hand. "Before I did a stint in the Army, I took a bus trip all over the East Coast," he said. "My hat's off to ya' for crossing the US on a bike."

Headed back across town to the Lonesome Dove RV Park. Boy, do I hate going backwardss. Phyllis checked me in, even opening the rec-room just for me. "The busy season is coming up next month," she informed me, "but we were busier than expected this summer." Went to get something to eat and ran into several motorcyclists that saw me back in Marathon several days ago.

Did laundry, had a beer and watched some big-screen TV. One of the other residents stopped by to say hello. Janey was a TWU graduate back in '74 and is almost at her 20-year retirement from the Army. "I can't wait to go back to Europe and do some biking myself," she smiled.

I knew I should be tired but the closeness of my finish is hyping me up. Can't wait! Will try and call D.G. when I get to Camp Wood tomorrow.