July 30, 2001

7/30/01 Oak Harbor, WA

28 / 5442 miles

While Kerry took Perry to swim lessons, I said good-bye to Jon. "I wish I could go with you." he said. I could see the excitement in his eyes. That's the feeling I need to keep refreshing. That "excitement of adventure" is what got me started on this in the first place.

Spent the morning just wandering about town, checking out all the businesses and Victorian homes. Did a tour of the museum too. I know you find this hard to believe, but I sampled the gastronomic fare at three eateries, Bread & Roses Bakery, The Landfall Restaurant and Dogs-A-Foot. All very good. And even stopped at the new food coop on the way out of town.

One of the highest spots in town


Lots of immaculate Victorian homes

Caught the ferry that would take me to Whidbey Island. The thirty minute ride across the Strait of Juan de Fuca was windy and cold but I was still blessed with sunny skies. From there, it didn't take me long to get to Oak Harbor.

One last look at Port Townsend

Ken Travis, Dorene's husband, was waiting for me when I rode up their driveway. Ken is retired Navy. We got to know each other a bit before Dorene got home from her shop called Oaktree, a craft business specializing in cross stitch. She showed me the wonderful catalog of her own designs, most hand painted patterns. [oakxstich.com]

After a very good dinner (Ken is the chef and chief bottle washer around here), we discussed my options for seeing Victoria. I can take the ferry through the San Juan Islands to Sydney, then bike the fifteen miles to Victoria. I don't think I'll go to Vancouver. Postcards I've seen make it look like New York City. Maybe I'm just a country boy at heart but through it just doesn't sound fun.