August 13, 1987

8/13/87 Nairobi

night flight from Nairobi to Amsterdam

My last day in Kenya. I was up by 6am to watch the dawn light up the Kenyan landscape. By the time the train stopped in Nairobi, I really was feeling the sadness of leaving my friends.

Today was really a blur. We had a large farewell banquet with a lot of people in attendance. The whole semester was ending so fast. Unfortunately for me, my flight was scheduled to leave tonight. I barely had time to say a few tearful good-byes after dinner, before some of the NOLS staff drove me to the airport. My whole departure is only a foggy memory now. I still can’t believe it’s time to head back home.

I have made such good friends. And the semester has been nothing I thought it would be, but it was worth so much more. I saw and experienced Kenya like most people don’t.